Productivity: Can It Be Toxic?
We live in a time when we think that productivity is important to lead us to more accomplishments. Because of this, most of us try to be productive.
There is nothing wrong with being productive since it is great and help us to achieve more. However, you should know that there are times when it can turn the other way and become toxic to you. But how come?
Productivity can turn toxic if it makes you forget your primary and basic needs such as eating and drinking. Without the fulfilment of your basic needs, in the long run, it will have a negative impact on you, both physically and mentally. But that's not all, here are some toxic productivity signs you need to be aware of.
- When you often hear that your family or everyone around you says "why don't you have time to rest and hang out with us?" or "we missed spending time with you". That is another sign that you are doing too much to be productive which can damage your personal relationships.
- Another sign of toxic productivity is when you have turned off your computer at night, but you still think about your to-do list and job in your mind. That is why, once you find it is difficult to sleep or stay calm, you need to be aware of it!
- You constantly feel guilty for not doing anything or not doing enough.
- Productivity turns toxic when you set unachievable goal and standards.
So, those are several signs of toxic productivity that you should be aware of. What do you think? Are there any signs similar to your current condition?
If you're experiencing some of the toxic productivity signs mentioned above, don't worry! You are not alone because it happens to so many people now!
But how to deal with it?
Here are some tips you can do to deal with this toxic productivity!
- So, the first thing you can do to handle this condition is to set realistic goals and make some adjustments. Instead of setting unrealistic goals, you need to be honest about what you can really accomplish in a day.
- Be careful about comparing yourself to others. When you see your friends at meetings or work on the weekends, it doesn't mean that you are left behind because they are working when you are not. Instead of comparing yourself to other people, it is better to only focus on yourself!
- If you are a runner and run all the time in the hope that you will become better and better, you may end up with the opposite result. Instead of being better, you might hurt yourself! Because of that, to be a better runner, you need a lot of time to exercise but you also need time to rest and recover your body. The same thing happens in productivity. Instead of being productive all the time, you need to take breaks to be more productive!
Actually, those are just a few of the many tips for dealing with toxic productivity. You can find out more about how to deal with toxic productivity on the internet, books, or other media. Hopefully, through this article, you have uncovered some productivity insights that will help you to be more successful and balanced in life!